Thursday, September 10, 2015

ProtecTIER Solution for mainframe alive and kicking

You might remember that in my post about the End of Marketing of the 3592 C07 Tape Controller, I told you IBM proposed ProtecTIER ME (Mainframe Edition) as a possible replacement. My reaction to this
"Well, I think you can forget about the ProtecTIER ME solution, because as far as I know that one went End of Marketing somewhere in 2012 (ZG12-0339), unless I missed something . . ."
Apparently I did miss something, as Art Tolsma, CEO of Luminex points out to me. here's his comments on this matter.
"Hello Marc,

I noticed your blog posting last week regarding mainframe tape. I have been an avid reader for a long time and appreciate your industry updates and insights.

You wondered whether you had “missed something” with regards to the Protectier ME product mentioned by IBM. As you know IBM discontinued their first attempt at providing a Protectier-based solution to deduplicate mainframe data. However, over the past few years IBM has chosen to partner with Luminex to deliver Protectier for this important mainframe market, and have called it Protectier ME (Mainframe Edition). It uses the indpendent and commercially standard products from both IBM and Luminex without requiring the resources to develop and manage custom solutions. IBM has presented this solution at SHARE on several occasions, and below is one link I found directly from IBM that mentions this, as well as more detailed information available on the Luminex website.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/InsideSystemStorage/entry/ibm_celebrates_sixth_anniversary_of_ibm_protectier?lang=en

http://www.luminex.com/products/channel_gateway/ibm/protectierme/

Luminex is dedicated to supporting the mainframe customer community and provide options and solutions for data centers of all sizes."
Well, I think that's clear enough. Thanks, Art, for the update.

No comments: